[Skimmertalk] CPU for Skimmerserver

kaz kazeringue at aol.com
Thu Dec 6 11:31:32 EST 2012

Interesting thread.

I know it is an apples vs oranges comparison, but FWIW running a
cwskimmer/softrock/soundcard setup uses more CPU, and that varies
GREATLY by model of sound card and its version of the sound card drivers.

So a question regarding the Skimmerserver/QS1R set-up.  CW skimmer has a
parameter for the "number of decoders".  Does skimmserver have a similar
parameter for limiting the decoders?

If it does, I've found relatively little perceived drop-off in the
ability of the skimmers to grab spots when the number of decoders is
limited, but it does help to throttle the CPU usage substantially.  If
the server version has the same ability, that may be useful for the
slower CPU set ups.

One of the skimmer boxes here croaked during CQ WW, and I wasn't
available to monitor the skimmers.  But on normal days the early
generation dual core processors can handle up to three bands at 96kc
using sound card skimming.  Or one band at 192kc.  :o  Two bands per CPU
at 96kc seems to be the limit/sweet spot for a slower dual core box.

The sound card skimming leaves much to be desired....but it was the only
option available.  Sort of like antennas, a poor skimmer is better than
NO skimmer.  ;)

73 de w4kaz