[Skimmertalk] CPU for Skimmerserver

marcelo at alternex.com.br marcelo at alternex.com.br
Wed Dec 5 14:17:48 EST 2012

Wow, thank you all for all the answers.
It seems that the i3 system I am looking at is quite good for the job. In fact, even
the Atom 330 I currently have at the remote station might work!
Thanks Bob, N6TV for the useful benchmark link.
Pete, for sure the skimmers will connect to the RBN. I am travelling to Florianopolis
in South Brazil  (@ PP5EG - PT5T)this weeked to put the first one on. I did some
very limited tests from home during the CQWW weekend.
Again thanks for all inputs and help.
Here is the summary. I´ve included the CPU MAX TDP - Thermal Design Power
- as a hint to the energy consumption.

            User
            CPU
            Benchmark
            TDP
            Notes

            Minimum
            P4
3.0G
            370
            89W

            N6TV
            Core2 Duo
3.0 GHz
            1694
            65W
            42%
CPU

            WZ7I
            Core 2 Quad
Q8300 2.5G
            3100
            95W
            OK for
non-contest

            JG1VGX
            Atom
D2700
            877
            10W
            35% CPU at
96kHz; 50% @ 196k 7B CQWW

            W0MU
            Athlon II
X2 220
            1633
            65W
            no
issues

            PJ2T
            Core 2 Quad
Q9500
            4061
            95W
            Works
FB

            N6WIN-1
            Core 2 Dual
CPU @2.4 Ghz E6600
            1497
            65W
            34%
CPU

            N6WIN-2
            Core 2 Quad
CPU @2.4 Ghz Q6600
            2944
            105W
            18%
CPU

            N6WIN-3
            Quad CPU
@3.30 Ghz i5-2500K
            6492
            95W
            7.5%
CPU

            N4ZR
            i3 @ 3.3
GHz
            3900?

            8-10% @96k
5B

            PY1KN
            Atom 330
1.6G
            549
            8W
            current at
remote station

            New Intel box
            i3 3217U
(Intel DC3217IYE)
            2178
            17W
            Needs SSDD
+ mem

Marcelo, PY1KN

> From W6 here are some notes that I took between June and July of 2012. The
> usage percentage should go up during the fall and winter season here. > > CPU usage of CW Skimmer Server on an XP machine using a E6600 (Core 2
Dual > CPU @2.4 Ghz) with 4GB DDR2 800 is 34% average at 192khz 6 bands. > > CPU usage of CW Skimmer Server on an XP machine using a Q6600 (Core 2
Quad > CPU @2.4 Ghz) with 4GB DDR2 800 is 18% average at 192khz 6 bands. > > CPU usage of CW Skimmer Server on an Win7 machine using an i5-2500K
(Quad > CPU @3.30 Ghz) with 16GB DDR3 1600 is 7.5% average at 192khz 6 bands.
(Just > built this one for W6PH) > > During contest weekends
the CPU usage goes up to 28% from 18% on my Q6600 > semi-dedicated Skimmer
machine. During Field Day my father's E4400 dual > core ~2.1Ghz machine used
~50% CPU resources. > > I have been contesting during CQ WW CW and
ARRL SS CW using the XP Q6600 > machine with Skimmer and Win-test running
without issues. > > 73, > > Tim / N6WIN >
http://www.n6win.com > > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM,
<marcelo at alternex.com.br> wrote: > >> >> >> Hi everyoneThis is my first post here in skimmertalk.I´ve >> just got 2 QS1R receivers to use as Skimmer servers. One will be >> installedin South >> Brazil, with a fast i7 PC.I plan to setup
the other one at my remote >> station, and since it will share thecabinet
space with all my other stuff >> I need a >> small, energy
efficient andpowerful computer. Ok, I know this is a >> difficult >> task.I am absolutely novice to skimmerserver, so my question is, is >> something as thisone in the link below powerful enough to decode 96kHz on 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102002Thanks for >>