[Skimmertalk] Antennas for Skimmer radios?

H Lawrence Serra hlserra at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 24 09:02:12 PST 2011

Besides, you're talking apples and oranges.  A receive antenna works
well when it maximizes the signal/noise ratio at this end of the path.
A transmit antenna works well when it maximizes the signal/noise ratio
on the far end of the path.   Those are not at all the same things.

Although there are skewed paths, and all send-receive paths aren't symmetrical,
actually, as a practical matter, they are generally the same-- apples for
apples. If you look at VOACAP charts when doing antenna and terrain analysis,
the take off (and receive) angles and the gain lobes generally benefit both
incoming and outgoing signal strength.

My point here is-- just like in contesting-- a mediocre omnidirectional antenna
is never a good idea, whether it's convenient to use or not. An active,
omnidirectional antenna is convenient and easily matched across a broad band of
frequencies-- less work for mother. But for contesting, if you know where your
bread and butter target areas are (producing most QSOs and MULTs) you want
specialized directive gain antennas to amplify incoming and outgoing sigs to
those target areas.

Out here in San Diego I use my skimmer as a second op in assisted class
contesting. I want my skimmer to hear the most Europeans (or JAs, or South
Americans) it can, so I can bang down the N1MM bandmap and work them quickly for
points before the thundering herd from the clusters arrives. So I will add a
2-el yagi with wide beam width aimed 045 to cover NA and EU, and the Pacific
islands off the back. Ideally, I would have stacked yagis in those directions to
choose upper, lower or both depending upon arrival angle, but there is not room
here for that. Even though a 2-el yagi is not optimal, from experimentation out
here I know adding one aimed in the bread and butter directions makes a big
difference in what my skimmer hears.

I suppose as a mere propagation tool, an omnidirectional antenna produces
omnidirectional information. But even for propagation study purposes, rotating
gain antennas (a rotating yagi, or switched four square or phased verticals)
would make more sense because it would hear more.

73, Larry N6NC