[Skimmertalk] Antennas for Skimmer radios?

Dave Pascoe km3t at km3t.org
Tue Dec 20 11:24:23 PST 2011

Great topic, Larry.  I think the answers to this will vary all over the
map.  As you know, there are so many factors to good reception: QTH,
local noise conditions, antenna, etc.

Here is what I am currently using on my modest Skimmer Server setup:

Radio: QS1R SDR
Antennas: * Single DX Engineering Active Antenna (out in the woods)
          * 80m off-center-fed (OCF) dipole up about 45' (no tuner)
          * Magnetic loop antenna up around 12' (attached to tree)
            (RF Pro-1A)

These are currently fed through a power combiner with the active antenna
output amplitudes adjusted so as to not dominate the passive antenna
output too much.

While the setup hears well due to QTH and fairly low noise, I would like
to improve it.  The magnetic loop has very good S/N and complements the
active vertical fairly well.  I was thinking of a timed switching system
that would dwell on each antenna for 5-10 seconds.  Not sure if this
would improve things, but certainly would get away from the situation
where noise from one antenna affects an antenna that may be quieter at a
given time.

Best of luck with your setup.

73,
Dave KM3T