[Skimmertalk] Skimmer Server & CQWW: one year late

k3mm at verizon.net k3mm at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 09:23:01 PST 2010

The QS1R's seem to be pretty accurate out of the box... the SDR-IQ not so much,  but they can all use a little tweaking.  The frequency correction parameter in the .ini file corrects the master oscillator calibration errors, so if you have 100hz error at 7 mhz, it's going to be 400 hz error at 28mhz!  I actually set mine by trial and error, using a CQ from my known accurate radio on 10 meters and also verifying against other know accurate skimmers such as WZ7I and K1TTT.

Frequency calibration is another thing to add to the list of skimmer node acceptance testing.

I guess taking this conversation to the next level, I would like to propose that we create an acceptance testing / certification program for skimmers to become part of the RBN...or at least part of the telnet server RBN during contest weekends.  The skimmer community used to be in beta-testing, but it's now a fairly mature and important technology for ham contesters and we need to improve and protect its integrity.  One bad skimmer (or even a hacker) could ruin everyones weekend.  Therefore, no new (uncertified) public skimmers should be allowed to connect directly to the RBN just before or during a major contest.

At some point we might want to selectively limit which skimmers are allowed to feed the RBN, but we arent there yet. However, this would mean we need to select the source nodes that will be used based on the location, antennas, certification, reliability, and perhaps other criteria...I guess some sort of rating system.

Ty K3MM