[Skimmertalk] RBN and busted calls was:Re: Skimmer Server & CQWW: one year late

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Nov 29 07:46:35 PST 2010

comments below

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

On 11/29/2010 10:07 AM, k3mm at verizon.net wrote:
> As Rosanne Rosannadana used to say, "It's always something!"  hi!
>
> After SS and CQWW experiences, us skimmer operators and perhaps Alex need to work on improving the accuracy of the information we provide to the masses.
>
> Is there any good documentation on the filtering modes within SkimServ (for the QS1R)?   Does Aggressive use the Master.dta file in both CWSkimmer and SkimServ?
Neither - paranoid uses master.dta in Skimmer, but is not available
(yet) in Skimmer Server.

> While master.dta filtering is OK, you will miss a few new callsigns, which isnt acceptable on Sunday afternoon when many are begging for new contacts.  But even more unacceptable is the mass of bad skimmer spots that proliferate your  spot window after you've "worked everybody".

> I started out running aggressive the first night, but then switched to Normal and I discovered that greatly increased the busted calls coming from my node.  I was elsewhere operating the contest, so I couldnt switch it back easily.  I noticed that KM3T also seemed to be supplying a lot of busted calls.
Aggressive is definitely better for accuracy, because it wants more
repetitions before it spots a call, and a better match with known
callsign patterns (sort of like a computerized K3ZO).

> Unfortunately, if we are all logging into the same large pot of skimmers, we are all going to suffer from even one errant node, so I think it's important that all of the skimmer operators agree on a standard contest skimmer operating protocol for the major contests.  Now we just have to figure out what that protocol is!

Indeed - suggestions welcome.