[Skimmertalk] skimmer through Wintelnetx to AR Cluster

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Nov 7 14:20:15 PST 2010

This weekend was the first big test of the RBN Telnet server, and it is
clear it needs some work.  There is plenty of machine, but the DXSpider
software may need some tuning.  Last year, during CQWW, the original RBN
web display system was lagging 30-45 minutes behind, a problem that we
think was fixed by segmenting the database into daily pieces.  I think
(though I'm no guru) that the serial Telnetting of DX spots to users may
now be the bottleneck.  I suspect that the current crashed state of the
RBN Telnet server may be the result.  Each spot is sent individually to
each user, and that can be a lot of volume, particularly if users are
relying on local software to filter things, so that everybody gets each
spot, whether relevant or not.  It helps a lot if people filter at the
Telnet server, and we *may* have to require that be done in some way.
Stay tuned!

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com