[Skimmertalk] Calibration of QS1R for latest SkimServer software

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Mar 7 04:07:43 PST 2010

I wondered how you were calibrating, Wes.  I did it a little
differently.  Using SDRMAXII, I tuned to 10 MHZ WWV.  Then (I just
learned this trick), dragging the bar between the waterfall and spectrum
display left or right with right mouse button held down enables you to
"zoom" the display.  I zoomed way in and then adjusted the calibration
number in the QS1R dialog of SDRMAXII, (actually reporting the actual
clock frequency of the QS1R, I think) until the centerline was right on
the center of the WWV carrier.  At this point the entire screen was only
about 5 KHz wide, which made it fairly easy.

My resulting calibration number was 0.999994, which goes a long way
toward explaining why your spots and mine were fairly consistently
different in frequency by at least 0.1 KHz, particularly on 14 MHz and
above.

Even more fallibly,

73,

Pete N4ZR