[Skimmertalk] Building Authentication and Auditing into the Growth of Skimmers and RBNs

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Wed Apr 21 17:59:43 PDT 2010

Below is a reply I made to the earlier thread on CQ-CONTEST that Tom or John or whoever is actually moderating bounced to Skimmertalk.

There's no need to try to build perfect security in as skimmer networks mature, but it is really important not to just repeat the mistakes made with the way Packetcluster grew.

But this is the right time in Skimmer software and system development to
be building in some security mechanisms. If in 1980 or so Dick Newell
could have imagined what the global Packetcluster monster looks like
today, a lot of access control features could have been baked in early
on. Doesn't even have to be Draconian - what Echolink has built in from
nearly day 1 is a good simple starting point.

73 John K3TN