[Skimmertalk] CW Skimmer with 2nd VFO audio

Pat Rundall pat at n0hr.com
Mon Nov 16 15:19:34 PST 2009

I recently picked up a IC-7600 and have been having fun with it so far. Sure
beats my IC-746.

I've been giving some thought to the upcoming CQWW CW contest and CW
contesting in general. It seems as though the trend is towards the new CW
Skimmer technology which I find interesting. Of course, Skimmer favors those
with SDRs like the Flex Radio Flex-5000.

With any other rig, you're limited to the 3 kHz audio coming from the rig
and into the Skimmer input.

I just had an idea though... I'm sure someone's already thought of this
(perhaps this is a modification for the Skimmer developer).

What if the audio passed from the IC-7600 was from the 2nd RX?  (not sure if
this can be done in the rig0

Further, what if the Skimmer app were modified (or perhaps N1MM were
modified to support this) such that the 2nd RX frequency changed over time
via CI-V commands?

That way, while you used RX1 to S&P or Run a freq, Skimmer & perhaps N1MM or
another app would use the 2nd RX to populate a bandmap.

I suppose that to do this, we'd first have to figure out of it was possible
to separate the 2nd VFO audio and pass it to the PC. Dualwatch allows you to
listen to both VFOs at the same time on a band, but if we could route the
2nd RX to another audio port, that would be a first step.  Then setup the
'scanning' program to scan the band.

Any ideas?

Pat N0HR
http://www.n0hr.com