[Skimmertalk] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 21 14:29:40 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:56 PM, DL8MBS <prickler.schneider at t-online.de> wrote:
> Bill Tippett schrieb:
>
>> The entire point of the Skimmer discussion was entirely about machine
>> decoding of CW.
>>

> With all due respect: the point was about decoding PLUS showing the
> frequency - doing by machine in two minutes what a single op needs time for
> to tune through a band (the different speeds making the difference between
> competitors, sooner or later the quality of the skimmer setup will make the
> difference in the tuning speed).
> The combination of both capabilities makes the quality step with skimmer -
> the bandmap created in two minutes regardless of the operator´s skill. But
> IMHO the waterfall or dots alone aren´t a big assistance.

I agree with your last comment Chris.  The only *new* capability added
by Skimmer to existing waterfalls or bandscopes was the CW decoding.
The frequency info has always been available in bandscopes.  In fact I
believe the early IC-756 bandscopes had the ability to jump to a
signal of interest.  I could be wrong however since I've never used a
756.

73,  Bill