[Skimmertalk] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

sp2lnw sp2lnw at interia.pl
Tue Oct 21 13:56:38 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett at alum.mit.edu>
To: <skimmertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Skimmertalk] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

> K8DO:
>
>>I would consider anything that shows you the exact frequency of each
>>signal on the entire band to be a form of assistance..  The fact that it
>>is or is not decoding the calls is not relevant - because you can point
>>and shoot your way to each exact signal, covering the entire band in a
>>minute or two as opposed to tuning the radio, or a second radio, by ear
>>and figuring out where each station is....
>
> Nonsense.  You would need to eliminate scores by every Kenwood rig
> with panadaptor, Yaesu rig with panadaptor, IC-781, IC-756Pro,
> IC-7800, Orion I & II over the past 30 years.  Bandscopes or waterfall
> displays are not decoders, which is the assistance issue with Skimmer.
> The entire point of the Skimmer discussion was entirely about machine
> decoding of CW.
>
> 73,  Bill

Bill: You are right!

If anybody need some waterfalls machine without decoding - should try
something like freeware Rocky software. Imo Skimmer soft without decoding
option isn't a really skimmer ;)
Some abt possibility of monitoring skimmer usage in the contest - please
read some articles abt it on http://wrtc.radio-sport.net/ .

73! Slaw sp2lnw