[Skimmertalk] Archive?

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Jun 30 17:38:31 EDT 2008

Joe, I truly am amazed at your ability to fabricate such erroneous
conclusions.  There is no relationship whatsoever between the regulatory
requirements to get an amateur radio license and the rules for any
particular contest.

*  I'm allowed to operate on any amateur band from DC to light, yet most
contest sponsors specify only certain bands for their event, and
restrict me to operating on only one band if I want to enter a single
band category.

*  I'm not legally restricted to 1500 watts power output yet some
contest sponsors limit operation to 100 watts or less for their event.

*  I'm legally allowed to use RTTY in the CW portions of most bands, yet
most contest sponsors specify only CW for their (CW) event.

*  I'm legally allowed to have my buddy sit at a second receiver in the
shack and work up a list of stations for me to work, yet most contest
sponsors prohibit that for single-op categories.

*  I'm legally allowed to spread my rigs and antennas over an entire
county if I so chose, or even to use a remote receiver in another state
(or country!), yet most contest sponsors specify a maximum radius for
all equipment.

* I'm legally allowed to operate a totally remote contest station
(subject to certain monitoring and control requirements), yet even you
have adamantly argued for their prohibition during a contest.

===>   I am legally allowed to operate an amateur radio station without
being able to copy a single letter of Morse code, but that does not in
any manner prevent a contest sponsor from defining a category that
requires me to do so.  <===

73,
Dave   AB7E