[Skimmertalk] Archive?

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Jun 30 17:00:26 EDT 2008

> Such a category would exclude operating aids such as CW
> decoders, SCP, and similar means of determining the
> callsigns of others stations.

I applaud the elimination of SCP, history files and the like.
However, since the regulatory agencies have decided that the
ability to copy CW by ear is no longer a license requirement
and it is no longer a requirement for operating CW, I do not
see how any contest sponsor - either a for profit corporation
like CQ or a "non-profit" like ARRL - can possibly disallow
the use of CW decoders in any category.

Whether anyone likes it, the regulatory change requires that
CW decoders be treated the same as "copy by ear."  That does
not mean that accuracy requirements (busted calls) should be
relaxed.  However, excluding CW decoders from the single
operator class (or creating a separate class for "decoder
assisted operators") is simply another form of "no code
discrimination" like attitudes that treated Technician
licensees  ("six meter lids") as second class licensees years
ago.