[Skimmertalk] Brief experiment with Skimmer and 40 Meter SoftRock at Field Day

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Jun 30 14:15:54 EDT 2008

Bill,

>          Drumroll...and the results are:
>
> 1.  37 calls.
> 2.  47 calls.
> 3.  86 calls (7 obvious busts...possibly more).
>
>          I could have improved #1 and #2 above by
> leap-frogging two VFOs (which is what I normally do)
> but I just wanted to see what could be done with one.
> If anyone thinks Skimmer would not totally redefine
> SOU they're kidding themselves.

I think you're not looking at the show picture ... you
say you could have improved #1 and #2 by leap-frogging
the VFOs and you note a "bust" rate of at least 10% in
#3. By the time you reduce the number of calls in #3
for the busts and further reduce the total for dupes and
other "unworkable" stations - then increase #1 and #2
based on leap-frogging the VFOs, etc. the net effect of
each method becomes very nearly the same.

Does each method use different skills?  Yes.  However,
that is not the question here.  The issue is that each
of these methods are valid for a SINGLE OPERATOR since
NONE of them reflect participation by another individual.

Might one method provide some operators better results
than another?  I don't think there is any question that
#3 might b more productive for someone with poorly developed
SO2R skills.  Still that should not be a criteria for this
debate any more than the fact that some operators benefited
more from computer logging than others justifies putting
those who use CT/NA/TR/WriteLog/N1MM/Win-Test/etc. in the
multi-single class.

Classes should never be based on "effect" they should be
based on "inputs."  When the inputs are the same, no matter
how the inputs are combined, the class should be the same.