[Skimmertalk] Skimmer Callsign Validation

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Jun 29 12:23:25 EDT 2008

One of the early criticisms of the first version of CW Skimmer was that it
posted too many busted calls.  In response to that criticism, Alex has
introduced, in version 1.2, a user-selectable 4-level validation
scheme,  ranging from "minimal" to "paranoid."  Each level tests the
callsign as copied against progressively tougher criteria, both in terms of
the number of times it must be copied and in whether it matches against
patterns derived from an analysis of 11 years of cluster spots.  The
"paranoid" level does not post a callsign unless it matches one in a
master.dta file, known among contesters as "Super Check Partial."

During the recent WPX CW contest, DL6MHW recorded 17 minutes on 40 meter
CW.  Using his recording, I ran CW Skimmer in each of the four validation
modes, told it only to spot stations that were CQ-ing, and collected the
spots.  WG4M, a Microsoft Access maven, analyzed the lists of spots and
arranged them in a table that shows each unique callsign copied by Skimmer
and how it fared through the four validation modes.  You can clearly see
how Skimmer now becomes progressively more "skeptical" when the more
stringent validation modes are used.

There is a Microsoft Excel file at
www.pvrc.org/~n4zr/Summary_of_All_Calls_6-27-08.xls that summarizes the
results.  Callsigns color-coded red in the left-most column were not found
in QRZ.com but were accepted by one or more of the validation levels above
minimal - at least some may be good, because QRZ is not perfectly timely or
inclusive.  Similarly, call-signs colored yellow in that column were found
in QRZ but were not validated by any level above minimal (I call them false
negatives).

The results aren't perfect - but I think they clearly show that Skimmer is
now at least comparable in accuracy to the average human op who posts spots
on the DX cluster network.  Not bad!  If you want to see for yourself,
click on the URL above - if you enter it manually, be sure you put
underscore characters everywhere there appears to be a space.  Comments
welcome!