[Skimmertalk] Monitoring Band Openings

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Jul 15 04:03:47 EDT 2008

One of the neat things about CW Skimmer, in my opinion, is the smart way it
monitors any given band.  Since it is only spending 5-10 microseconds on
any one data stream, the amount of time it takes to identify most of the
callsigns on a band is directly related to how busy the band is and how
often the stations identify, on average.  On a band that is just opening,
I'd expect Skimmer to post its first spot within a few seconds of its
hearing the first CQ.

PY1NB and I have done some rough analysis comparing packet spots to Skimmer
spots, using the spot flow from http://dxwatch.com and
http://skimmer.dxwatch.com, Felipe's two websites.  As you might expect,
there is a big advantage to Skimmer, both in terms of how many stations are
spotted and when - Skimmer almost always gets to them first