[Skimmertalk] Monitoring Band Openings

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Jul 14 22:15:43 EDT 2008

Rick,

What an impressive setup!  It sounds like if anyone is going to be able
to explore the multiple possibilities for this technology, you will.
I'm glad to hear that you also have an interest in propagation
monitoring, and I'll be very interested to see how that works out.

When you add the QS1R, do you anticipate being able to cover most or all
of the HF spectrum with just the one receiver, or will you have to
software "bandswitch" it in some fashion in order to get decent
decoding?  Multiple SDR-IQ receivers represent a fairly sizeable
investment by themselves, but in addition not everyone is going to have
the knowledge or resources to network them together on a server as you
have done.  Having one wideband receiver would open up a lot of
possibilities for experimentation.  My oldest son is a software engineer
for a company that specializes in high performance SDR applications in
the government/military field, and I have fantasies of coercing him into
writing various software modules for particular amateur radio
applications once I learn more about this stuff myself ;)

Thanks for the info!

73,
Dave   AB7E

p.s.  Your antenna farm is also particularly impressive.  I have a
single OB16-3 and an OB2-40 on an HD-70 tower, and you still make me
envious.