[Skimmertalk] Archive?

Vladimir Sidorov vs.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:08:25 EDT 2008

Sorry, cannot resist not to interfere.

> > More to the point is that you've tried to create a red
> > herring by equating CW Skimmer with simple CW decoders
>
> Again, it is not a "red herring."  CW Skimmer = receiver +
> CW Decoder, that's a fact.

It is not a fact. A fact is that Skimmer = receiver + hundreds of decoders
working independently of an operator and providing him with an analisys of
what is going on on the band.

  CW Skimmer and a SO2R station
> using WriteLog have the very same resources - two receivers
> and a CW decoder.  The only difference is how those parts
> are assembled/used.

Again, the difference is in:
1. Quantity of receivers aka decoders
2. A necessity for an operator to tune to a desired station in order to get
her signal decoded. Skimmer tunes to every signal on the band instantly and
without any intervention from an operator.

> It is not up to contest sponsors or others who harbor prejudice
> against technological advancement to determine how the operator
> to use the available tools (e.g., whether the operator uses an
> Icom, Kenwood, Elecraft or Flex-Radio receiver and whether the
> operator uses a W5XD or VE3NEA decoder) any more than the sponsor
> of a fly fishing tournament can require the participants to use
> a specific brand of fly rod or prohibit the use of hand tied
> flies.

Do you mean, regardless contest sponsors' wishes everybody can use, say,
repeaters?

> The rule concerning "assistance" was never based on cw decoders,
> number of receivers, or any other technology used by the operator.
> It only pertains to the participation by someone other than the
> (single) station operator. Everything else ... all the claims
> that "CW decoders" or specific software are "assistance" is a
> red herring.

Assistance means sharing of some of operator's functions with somebody else.
Packet spots are provided by remote operators. Skimmer does the same with
hundreds of virtual operators, if you wish. In the both cases a part of work
has been done without any actual involvement of the operator.

The old-fashionned group of people called, Single Operators simply want to
stay away from ANY assistance and to do everything by themselves, nothing
else...

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE

---