[Skimmertalk] Archive?

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Tue Jul 1 16:50:57 EDT 2008

> More to the point is that you've tried to create a red
> herring by equating CW Skimmer with simple CW decoders

Again, it is not a "red herring."  CW Skimmer = receiver +
CW Decoder, that's a fact.  CW Skimmer and a SO2R station
using WriteLog have the very same resources - two receivers
and a CW decoder.  The only difference is how those parts
are assembled/used.

It is not up to contest sponsors or others who harbor prejudice
against technological advancement to determine how the operator
to use the available tools (e.g., whether the operator uses an
Icom, Kenwood, Elecraft or Flex-Radio receiver and whether the
operator uses a W5XD or VE3NEA decoder) any more than the sponsor
of a fly fishing tournament can require the participants to use
a specific brand of fly rod or prohibit the use of hand tied
flies.

The rule concerning "assistance" was never based on cw decoders,
number of receivers, or any other technology used by the operator.
It only pertains to the participation by someone other than the
(single) station operator. Everything else ... all the claims
that "CW decoders" or specific software are "assistance" is a
red herring.