[Skimmertalk] Archive?

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Tue Jul 1 11:56:22 EDT 2008

> Working a station in a CW Contest DOES require a specific
> method of detection if required in the rules.  We will just
> have to wait and see how those new rules read.

The rules as currently written do not require a specific method
of detection.  To change them after more than 10 years in which
CW decoding has been used and now that a non-trivial number of
participants use decoders would be a travesty.

> Just as an experiment, go to some fishing contest refector
> and say it is all about how many fish you catch and see if
> you get about the same response there as you do here when you
> propose that the rules should allow a drag net to be used in
> a bass fishing competition.  Rod and reel...

The contests - e.g. a "fly fishing contest" specify the purpose
in their name.  There is nothing in a CW contest that says CW by
ear only.  CW is a modulation method - nothing more.  It can be
demodulated by many methods from iron filings to software and
all demodulation methods are equally valid ways to "work" a
station.