[Skimmertalk] Archive?

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Tue Jul 1 10:32:27 EDT 2008

> The ADA applies to hiring practices and facilities for employers
> with more than 15 employees, government agencies, and public
> facilities such as theaters and stadiums.

ADA applies to all activities conducted on/in public facilities and
all facilities open to the public.  The amateur spectrum is certainly
a "public facility."

> It does not apply to ... circumventing the traditional intent of
> an event ... i.e, in this case, to hear a signal.

Here is the problem in your argument and others who hold that only
reception "by ear" qualifies for unassisted.  The "traditional intent"
is not to HEAR a signal; it is to WORK as many stations as possible
using the specified transmission method.  Working a station on CW
does not require using a specific method of detection or decoding.
Whether the operator decodes CW by sound, light, feel (vibration)
or software is of no concern of the sponsors/rules - just as it is
no concern whether the operator has a transceiver with traditional
analog detectors or modern DSP demodulators.

If you want a contest of copying CW by ear, enter HSCW competitions.
That is the pure test of copying by ear.