[Skimmertalk] Skimmer Experiance: 160M and 10M

Dean R. Madsen dean at acsnet.com
Mon Dec 22 01:14:30 EST 2008

ARRL 160M
Skimmer was used both on a soft rock receiver
located at my QTH and on a Flex 5000a with
Skimmer in IF mode and WD5EAE’s Skimmer Scheduler
located at the contest station.  Paranoid
callsign validation was used on both instances.

Skimmer wasn't useful in periods of moderate to
high activity.  There were so many erroneous
spots that it was better to have both ops concentrating on the run frequency.

It appears that Skimmer was spotting calling
stations.  This seems to happen on stations
running with “test callsign callsign test” and
only with certain callers.  Maybe these certain
callers are better at matching the running
station’s frequency and with the end of the CQ
message being “test” (CQ to CW Skimmer?) the CQ
and callsign twice threshold is met by the end of
the CQ and the exchange by the running
station?   Just speculation, as I didn't have
time to investigate this during the contest.

Show non-workable spots was initially turned off
to reduce the clutter on the band map, but was
soon turned on so that the correct call would be
shown for spots that had decoding errors with the callsign.

Skimmer showed its worth when the rates fell and
the spotting station had time to check the few
spots that were generated in between the running
station’s CQs.  Skimmer did find new stations to
work.  The remote skimmer with a shortened dipole
at 35ft provided more spots than the local
skimmer in IF mode (due to the running station,
limited to 20khz and use of directional beverage antennas?).

This experience was a solid improvement over CQ
WW when skimmer was disconnected from the logging software.

ARRL 10M
Skimmer was used in IF mode using a Flex 5000a
that was also the contest radio.  During the
first three quarters of the contest when signals
were weak and gone quickly, I could see the
signal on the Flex 5000 PanaFall display and I
was working the station by the time CW Skimmer
spotted the station.  I also experienced a lot of
crashes of CW Skimmer early on and then it
somehow stabilized (I plan to send the log to
Alex). During the short period the 2nd day when
the band actually opened, I found skimmer to be
pretty helpful.  When I noticed a new skimmer
spot and no one was answering my CQs I was able
to click on the spot, be right on frequency, work
the station and return to my run frequency if
skimmer hadn't spotted another station to work
(since my 20khz decoding window had changed).

For the 10M contest the cluster spots weren't
useful.  Too bad the logging software doesn't
show skimmer spots in a different color.  I don't
want to disconnect from the cluster so that I can
see who is working what area and know when I have
been spotted (and then be disappointed when it
didn't really make any difference).  Maybe it is
time to expand from 2 monitors to 4 monitors so
that CW Skimmer is visible along with the radio software and logging software?

I would like to see specific support for the Flex
radios with CW Skimmer.  The main problem is that
the IF mode is limited to 20 kHz due to filters
of standard transceivers.  With the Flex radio
the whole 96 or 192 kHz is available to CW
Skimmer, the center frequency is the VFO frequency.

If two copies of CW Skimmer (one for each
receiver – VFO A and VFO B) would run in a “Flex”
mode with OmniRig reading the center/VFO
frequency, I think it would be an almost ideal
implementation:  The operating antenna and
skimmer antennas are the same with no concern of
accidently transmitting in to the skimmer
receiver and you can operate and skim two bands simultaneously.

Next Contest:  Stew Perry
I plan to be active in the Stew Perry 160m
contest next weekend as a Multi-OP-single-person
with skimmer.  It looks like cluster is
prohibited even for Multi-Op entries, so it will
be interesting to see skimmer-only spots on the
band map.  I will post again if I learn anything new.

73,
Dean - N0XR

Dean R Madsen
dean at acsnet.com          ICQ:5510840