[Skimmertalk] SNR Measurements

Rick Walker rnwalker at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 11 08:50:49 EST 2008

Pete,

Since there has been a significant discussion on the SNR parameter, I
thought I would share some of the startling values I observed in this past
CQWW.  The information is provided below.  I just pulled a few off the top
of the list, but there were 1,100 different telnet spots during the contest
generated from my skimmers (from both 20M and 40M) where the SNR was 100 dB
or greater.  I don't normally see SNR values greater than around 50 dB or so
during normal operation, so I was curious about this result.  I normally
have the SDR-IQ receivers connected to a small RX-only antenna, but for this
contest I had them connected into my main antenna arrays.  Even still, these
values seem excessive to me...  :-)

Any others note curious results like this?

73,

Rick
K4TD

FREQ (kHz)	CALL		SNR (dB)	SPEED (WPM)	RUN/S&P	TIME
(Z)
14030.9	9A7A		174		32		CQ
1253Z
14020.3	VA7RN		174		27		CQ