[Skimmertalk] Rigsync - it isn't just for Writelog

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Dec 10 16:02:34 EST 2008

I don't think so, but I may be the last person on this mailing list to
realize that W2RF's Rigsync is far more than just a way to integrate CW
Skimmer and Writelog.  It can also be used to click on any active decoder
on Skimmer's bandmap, and move both your radio and a contest logging
program to that frequency.  This even works with Skimmer in "Blind" mode,
and with Spectravue and Winrad, two common "panadaptor" software programs
designed to be used with various software-defined receivers.  Right now, I
have N1MM Logger and Skimmer both controlling the frequency of my two
radios, and everything seems happy.

Why should you care?  Because, as CT1BOH recently outlined, a visual
representation of the signals on a band can be very useful to contesters,
and Skimmer's "Blind" mode makes this information available without
decoding or any other artificial intelligence, which would raise questions
about appropriateness for single operator (unassisted) contesting.

Let's say you're running single-op (unassisted) - with Skimmer in "Blind"
mode, Spectravue or Winrad you can see where all the signals on a band
are.  Yeah, but my IC-756 Pro can do that, you say.  True, but can you
click on its pandadaptor screen and move your S&P radio and to the
frequency of the next station up or down the band, ready to copy its
callsign and work it if needed?

Potential benefit to single-op (assisted) operators is even greater.  With
conventional dx cluster spotting, you know what station was on a given
frequency when it was spotted.  Even with CW Skimmer, you have the
10-minute minimum repeat between spots, as well as occasional errors in
identifying and spotting only stations that are CQ-ing.  But on the Skimmer
bandmap/ waterfall, you can see if the station is still there - more to the
point, Skimmer can too, and when there is no longer a station on that
frequency you can see it.

What more?  Well, with Writelog, RigSync passes color-coding information
back to the Skimmer bandmap, so you can see whether you need a given
station for a mult or a new Q.  This capability is not yet available for
other contest logging programs, but hopefully Ed will be able to work with
their authors to add that level of integration.

To try it for yourself, you'll need RigSync (download from
http://ehr.net/w2rf/download/rigsync0100.msi) and some way of connecting
two virtual serial ports to a single radio.  The MicroHam series of USB
interfaces now have that capability, in Version 7 of their Router software,
and VSPE from www.eterlogic.com appears to work well for the same functions
in software.  You'll also need the OmniRig rig control freeware from
www.dxatlas.com, which runs in the background and is controlled either from
Skimmer or from RigSync.  Setup is a little complicated, and there is as
yet no help file with RigSync, but I'd be glad to share my setup if there
is interest.

73, Pete N4ZR
the World Contest Station Database is back, and improved...
www.conteststations.com