[Skimmertalk] Skimmer and Live Audio

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Mon Dec 8 15:02:50 EST 2008

Yesterday we put an SDR-IQ on 160M.  It is connected to the reverse
beacon project.  In addition I put a IC-765 on 1836 with a live audio
feed.

It can be listened to by copying this link and pasting it in your
browser.

http://71.29.254.161:88/broadwave.asx?src=1&kbps=128

If it does not work for some reason, try opening Windows Media Player,
going to File and Open URL and pasting it in there.

A camera is on the S Meter of the IC-765.  I will have a note visible to
the camera as to what frequency the rig is on.  You can access the
camera from www.k5go.com and click on live camera.  Be sure to click
JAVA or ACTIVEX to see movement.

There is a delay in both the audio and video ( I think about 10 - 20
seconds) but interesting to use to compare antennas with a friend or
compare two antennas of your own.  The camera through the internet is
not fast enough to move up and down as it would if you were looking at
the rig.  On my own network it is but accessing it from the internet
will give you a reading that will just hang there for a few seconds.

The 765 is connected to a 1000 foot, single wire beverage to the NE.

On occasion when I am at the station I will move the SDR-IQ and the
IC-765 to a band that is open and you will know where it is by looking
at the camera on the S meter.

A couple of hours after posting something to the topband reflector, I
noticed there were 128 people listening to the audio.  I had it on the
computer in my living room last night while I was watching TV and heard
a lot of signals transmitted to see whether they were being heard in
Arkansas.  Seems to slow down with that kind of activity and you have to
wait for it to buffer for a bit every few minutes.

I would love to be able to access something similar in Europe and be
able to do some antenna testing, seeing and hearing for myself what the
differences are between two antennas.

Aside from my pretty rigid stance regarding Skimmer to be used by
participants in contests, I will say that Skimmer is VERY cool and a
wonderful tool for propagation analysis, etc.

Have fun and Happy Holidays

Stan, K5GO