[Skimmertalk] Radio CAT Control Problem Icon with SDR-IQ

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Dec 6 07:45:42 EST 2008

At 07:28 PM 12/5/2008, W3OA wrote:
>I've just installed an SDR-IQ and thought I had a CAT problem because
>the icon in the bottom left corner of the waterfall window was
>frequently red. After a few hours trying different things I rolled the
>mouse over the icon. A message pops up saying "Status 4: A/D Clipping".
>I wonder what this means, if I should worry about it, and how to fix
>it.  Changing th HF Gain and IF Gain in the Radio Settings window
>doesn't seem to change the behavior.

Hi Dick.  Once the icon has been triggered with the SDR-IQ, it stays
on.  This isn't very desirable behavior, but that is how it is.  If you
stop the waterfall, and then restart, the red will go away.  I have
generally found with my SDR-IQ that it is more useful to look at the red
LED on the front panel, and adjust the HF gain so that it doesn't
flash.  This seems to be necessary mainly on the low bands.  Allowed to
continue, clipping affects decoding and audio quality.

You can get a lot more insight into the various options available for
controlling the SDR-IQ by running the WinRad software with it.  It
explicitly shows the various preamp and attenuator combinations that are
available.