[Skimmertalk] Skimmer use places op in Assisted category forCQWW

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Aug 12 22:17:02 EDT 2008

Stan, I don't get it.  You complain about people using Skimmer like a
remote receiver to copy stations that are not calling CQ, as if Skimmer
could copy an exchange or a serial number.  I pointed out that it doesn't
work that way.  I pointed out that Skimmer would only copy a given callsign
on a given frequency once every 10 minutes, and would never copy an
exchange, while any number of other receivers, coupled with Internet
communications, would do exactly what you are afraid of, and have been able
to for years.

It's simply wrong to say that Skimmer breaks any new ground in terms of
remote receivers.  They were and continue to be against the rules.  Nothing
has changed.  Compared to a free-standing, tunable remote receiver, Skimmer
would be a step backward.

Why not relax and accept the fact that local Skimmers will become a part of
the contest arsenal in every class except basic single-op?  To my mind,
that's as it should be, and it's time to move on.