Yaesu

Re: [Yaesu] Yaesu Parts availability

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] Yaesu Parts availability
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:23:07 +0000
W7EJ posted experience with two parts unobtainable from
Yaesu - the indication pot from a current product (rotator)
& CPU from a discontinued transceiver.

We had three FT-847s die here - two in VR2, one in 9M6 -
with the same fault.  The pre-driver for HF/6m went.
Faulty part was a sole-source Motorola SMD component
originally meant for mobile telephone industry (something
like 0.5 watts out).

Having found the component had been EOLed some
time back (after a good chase - VR2 is good place for
parts & having worked in industry helps, too), with
Freescale (nee Motorola) saying there was _no_ proper
substitute by _anyone_, Yaesu said they still had stock,
so I ordered several.

They sent a completely different part.  It did not work.
The FT-847 was taken to the factory for repair.

This component, MRF9475 I think, is apparently used on
whole slew of Yaesu products.  I have yet to check to see
what the factory replaced it with, but it is a bit of a goof to
have used this part (impending EOL is something you get
told when you buy lots of parts, like if you were a Yaesu,
yet products still use them).

As N4ZR mentioned, there are probably alternatives for
the pot.  There will be something that can be made to
work for the EOLed half-watt transistor.  The CPUs are
another matter.  There is an indication here that Yaesus
might be more likely to unserviceable sooner than other
brands' products due to selection of components used
& lack of stock.  It is like the intention is replacement,
instead of repair.

73 & HLNY, VR2BrettGraham