[WriteLog] Problem - Echo Microphone to Transmitter

To: Writelog Forum <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Problem - Echo Microphone to Transmitter
From: Ken Claerbout <kenk4zw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 07:24:06 -0400
I purchased a new computer. One of those mini-computers, Intel 7
processor, Windows 11, with a CTIA audio jack.  For those not familiar
with CTIA, the stereo output and audio input are all on one 3.5 mm
connector.  Looks like a standard stereo 3.5mm jack except it has an
extra ring.  I loaded the latest Writelog version 12.81D.

The problem is I can't get the audio to loop from my headset mic to
the radio, "echo microphone to transmitter."

The mic into the computer works.  In Windows system sound, I can run
the test and see the meter move on the input volume.   I can record
messages in Writelog.  The canned messages (F1, F2, etc.) play out to
the radio.  But when I talk into the mic, the audio does not show up
at the radio.  The "Echo Microphone to Transmitter" box is selected in
Options.  In Windows, the two Input Format options for this device are
2 channels, either 16 or 24 bit, 48000 Hz.  I wondered about the 2
channels, but audio is being recorded for the Function key messages,
so I assume it's OK.

Here's a clue.  When I use a Sound Blaster USB mic/speaker device, the
echo microphone works.  The problem with this configuration though,
something I noticed years ago, different PC, version of Writelog etc.,
is that once I start switching radios in SO2R, the echo function stops
working. So that's not a solution.  This device also shows 2 channels
in the Input Format.

I'm stuck.  I'll play around some more today, but this sort of thing
is not my area of expertise.  I'd welcome any suggestions.

73
Ken K4ZW