[WriteLog] some post WAE RTTY thoughts etc.

To: Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>, Wayne <support@writelog.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] some post WAE RTTY thoughts etc.
From: Jeff Stai <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 15:45:32 -0800
Question: There are times in mid contest when it would be helpful to verify
a setting in the "ini file". Short of creating a snapshot at startup is
there a more direct way of looking at the settings that I am missing?

The rest here is thoughts about incremental improvements to a QTC system
that is both useful and fun.

Often during a contest I find I am editing some messages to meet changing
conditions. During WAE I found the setting of the QTC fill request message
to be problematic in fluttery conditions and I wanted to change it. But
that one message is buried in the ini file. Could it be moved someplace
else more accessible? How about the Contest Parameter dialog as one
possibility?

On the fly I discovered that defined macro shortcut keys don't work when
the alt-R and alt-S dialogs are open - or at least the punctuation key I
have assigned to do the alt-K function, which is often needed. That's fine,
but could we then have some more buttons in the dialogs? Maybe a couple
that could be assigned to any message buffer (for example an "ALL AGN"
message) and one that invokes alt-K?

If you could click on the numbers on the left side of the alt-R dialog as
the equivalent of typing alt-number that would really reduce the number of
transitions between keyboard and mouse during fills in RTTY. (If that also
positions the cursor in the corresponding field, bonus!)

Also I noticed on the fly that clicking on any unhighlighted text did not
copy to the cursor location in the alt-R QTC list. The example was where I
had half the QTC correct in one place in RTTYrite and the other half in
another place. I just wanted to click-click and clean up extraneous but it
wouldn't do it. I of course ended up typing it all in, but anything that
can help reduce fill requests is appreciated.

There is no direct way to request a repeat of the initial group serial
number and QTC count, or to send a fill of it. (There doesn't seem to be a
standard name for it, actually...?).

Thanks for listening - 73 jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai ~ WK6I ~ wk6i.jeff@gmail.com