Re: [WriteLog] IC751a Plus Piexx UX-14 does not take WL commands

To: n4dxs@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] IC751a Plus Piexx UX-14 does not take WL commands
From: "JerryBliss - k6iii" <k6iii@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:36:09 GMT
Friday, 3/31/06, 6:35am

Good Morning Steve,
Thanks for your reply and insight. I am confident that the Piexx UX-14 design
is reliable - otherwise there would be MUCH griping about it on the Reflectors.

I had the covers off yesterday and carefully check and recheck each switch
position on the Piexx board.

Using either of two versions of WL, on two separate PC's (Windows XP and
Windows 98) I have NOT been able to command the rig to a particular Frequency
or Mode. I can, however, successfully read the Frequency and Mode from the rig
and populate all the WL windows.

I am using the Piexx supplied cable on the RS-232 port of the Piexx board going
to the PC COMM Port.

I think I have tweak every variable factor in the path. I have put the covers
back on the rig and it is working as before (unable to set the Freq or Mode
using WL).

I should be able to find a local ham with a similar set up here in the area.
Two very strong PC, H/W & S/W engineers (and contesters) are working with me
(via email) on the problem. I suspect the next thing is to take the rig to the
local ham's QTH and try it there!

TNX AGN for your response. If you have the covers off your 751a, please examine
your switch settings and let me know what you have set up.

Jerry/k6iii
San Jose, CA

-- "Stephen R. Veader" <n4dxs@verizon.net> wrote:
Jerry...

I ran (still have) my IC-751A with the Piexx UX-14 for three or four
years and did not seem to have a problem...  Worked right out of the box
(less a little modification to the board so that I could fit it through
the hole in the back) without a hitch...  It is not the fastest
responding unit but it worked great...  As far as using it in WL it was
never a problem...  I have also used it with a USB to serial adapter
without a problem...

My two cents worth is to go back over the dip switch settings to see if
something got out of place on the install...

I may have time this weekend to pull it out of the box (it is now a
backup radio for our RTTY contest station) and make sure that it works
with the current software...

I have casually been following the thread....  Other than reading the
frequency into WL is there anything else you are trying to do...  I
never did get a chance to hook two radios together...  It does have a
port for that...

Steve, N4DXS