[WriteLog] Multiple Monitors--comment about Windows 2000

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Multiple Monitors--comment about Windows 2000
From: w5xd@writelog.com (W. Wright, W5XD)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:14:28 -0000
I post this hoping someone knows better than me:
I have Windows 2000 and the Matrox G400 dual-head card. I found it to be
useless for adding a second monitor in my configuration. The best I can
tell is that Windows 2000 supports dual monitors in a completely different
way than Windows 98 and, W2K, in my opinion, is far inferior.

The W2K support for the G400 is that there is really only one "screen" and
half of it is on each monitor. Both monitors have to be run at exactly
the same resolution, and any program that centers anything on the screen
shows up split between the screen (they must have been looking for the
most annoying implementation possible!). Another effect of the "one-screen
on-two-monitors" constraint is that both monitors need to be identical.
I tried running a 17" CRT next to a 15" flat panel. My kids were very
happy with the result: they got the flat panel and I'm back to one
screen.

Wayne, W5XD