Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint K1WHS

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, "newsVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint K1WHS
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:26:23 -0400
Hi VHFers,

I should have changed the name of the 222 MHz Sprint up here to the "222 MHz Stagger", because that's what I was doing all night. I had serious equipment issues that started up just about 23:45 UT. I have had this problem before and I was sure that I had fixed it. Right in the middle of the Sprint, all of a sudden, my K3 would stay in transmit and that made receiving impossible. I did all the typical things to see if I had a bad cable somewhere, but everything checked out except the 12 conductor cable that goes from the K3 to my homebrew band decoder box. The cable has band decoding lines along with other handy accessory features from the K3 that can be utilized on a per band basis.  Last Fall, I had the same problem and took the whole system down to the house and found a broken wire inside the multi pin DB-15 connector. It was free to move inside the connector shell and was causing problems. I thought I had fixed it as it has given me no trouble all winter....until last night at 23:45 UT. I ripped things apart in an effort to fix it and keep going in the Sprint, but the problem got worse, and it defied explanation. It appeared that the cable itself was at fault, but a physical check showed all the pins were properly connected on either end. I bagged the Sprint and took the K3 and the band decoder out of the shack and brought it down to my workshop. When I connected it all up, I saw the same problem. A closer look and I could see 3.5 to 5.5 megohm paths between all the pins in the connector. The value drifted around and I suspected that the leakage in the cable might be fooling the K3 into going into transmit. A check with a bath of alcohol  and heat gun isolated the problem to one end of the cable at a DB15 connector. A bit of hot air made the resistance drop quite a bit. (?) The next morning, I was at it again and unsoldered the 15 pin connector. A quick check with a DVM showed the cable and other connector were fine, but the DB15 was suffering from some weird internal leakage paths all by itself! No amount of cleaning could alter that fact.  A simple resistance check of all the wires looks fine with good connections thru the cable and no direct shorts are seen anywhere. The leakage was the only problem I could see.

The weird thing is that a quick check of the K3 keying showed that a 10K resistor to ground on the key line would key the radio, but a 33K resistor would not key it.  I was seeing resistance leakage values of maybe 500K at the worst. I am not sure that the leakage caused the failure. Maybe it had to do with something I am not aware of, but I just know that the DB15 should *_not_* show leakage. Remember that this setup is in a cold and damp shack and the gear does take a beating as a result.  Maybe evil mice are involved?  Have I mentioned that mice do not deserve to live on this planet?

As far as my effort in the 222 MHz Sprint goes, I was on for almost an hour and about another one half hour after that trying to fix things. Making contacts with the fault was almost impossible. I worked 27 stations, and found QSB to be severe.  I listened to VE3DS work K1TEO, and called right after Dana worked Jeff. He was about S2, but peaked up at 579 when he turned his beam towards me. Of course the rig quit and I could not hear his answer, so I tried again later when the errant keying had quit acting up, and then VE3DS was just a whisper in the noise. He was barely copyable.  N2JQR in WNY was pretty loud when I worked him, and W8ZN at 482 miles was easy copy from FM09te. We had  a bit of trouble with the QSO as there was line noise on the VA end, so we had to repeat things for awhile. I heard AA2SD OK on SSB from his FM29 location early on, but too much QRM & splatter prevented me from trying with him. 222.102 was a busy spot!  I was not on long enough to really get a good idea of conditions. I suspect that they were down a bit.  WA1RKS and W1AUV were easy contacts this time.  Due to the rig problems I missed a whole bunch of the regulars.  Not sure how many grids I ended up with in the first hour. When I check the log, I'll post it on 3830.

I was really bummed at the rig failure, as I had expended much effort to get the array put back in shape after the big ice storm. WA1T and his son Nick dropped by to help with the tower work. I had climbed the tower in the morning and rigged up a rope and pulley system. I also managed to straighten a few elements with an aluminum tweaking arm. When the helpers showed up, Nick and I were up on the tower and managed to slide the big H frame sideways to get access to the antenna with a broken boom truss. We got that repaired and sraightened a few more elements. It was quite windy and of course it was raining only when we were on the tower!! We quit at about 4:30PM on Monday and I see on;y two badly bent elements left, so I was hoping to give the antenna a good workout on Tuesday. Unfortunately, that did not happen.

So now I am testing my band decoder with a new DB15 plug and hope that I made some progress.

73

Dave K1WHS