[VHFcontesting] Check your calendar!! It is Tuesday

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Check your calendar!! It is Tuesday
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:02:54 -0400
Hello 222 phreaques,

I am all excited to be back home and available for an exciting 222 Activity night. There is only one problem. We had a terrible ice storm on Saturday that pretty much wiped out parts of southern Maine. When it was melting on Sunday and Monday, I measured one chunk that fell off a guy wire at the house and saw 3/4" of ice away from the cable. That is close to being a really bad event. As it was, over 185,000 homes lost power in Maine, with most of the trouble in the two southern counties. I lost power here at about 8 PM on Saturday night. There was no internet as well. I have not been to my shack, but can see that the top 7 element 50 MHz beam suffered a broken brace from all the extra weight. The 222 array seems to have survived but looks a little worse for wear. The road is impassable, so i need to walk up with my trusty Husky 365 and clear the way. Only problem is that it is raining again and the temperature is 29 degrees. We are in another ice event.

The plan is to head up on foot and attempt to get on. Fortunately, power was restored here on Monday evening and the internet came back sometime about midnight.  Living in the north woods is always exciting. I took a trip South to Sunny Florida and Virginia in hopes of missing mud season. When I returned we had the worst storm of the winter!!  The woods are a mess, with broken trees all over the place.

So don't forget to show up after dinner and look around 222.100 MHz plus or minus the QRM this evening. Hopefully, your weather will be better than what is in store for Mumbo-Jumbo Land. Freezing rain and rain is forecast here all day and evening.  I am hoping that I have an internet connection on the hill. Using the ON4KST Chat page will alert others of your presence. The 222 ops use the 144/432 Region 2 Chat for liaison.  I am not sure who will be QRV, but W2KV in FN20 is working on getting a real beam up in the air. Also Phil K3TUF has been on in FN10. W3CMP is in FN10 and working on getting a station up and running.  Chris, W3CMP has a 500 watt Larcan amp ready to go.

On other news, the last 1500 watt Larcan amp will be heading out to South Dakota in the next day or so and W0VB (220MHz  WAS #1) will be installing it in Wyoming at a remote station. That project was held up for months, but is back on track. I am also converting another 1500 watt amp for KF0M in Kansas.  The ice storm and loss of power slowed down those projects, but things are getting back to normal.  Finally, I have a 1000 Watt Larcan here for N1SV that I picked up in Virginia where WA1ZMS added some filtering, relays, and fans to make it ready to go. Some QRO amps spread around the country will sure add to the excitement and help many others to achieve WAS on 222.

I plan to be on a bit before 23:00 UT looking for contacts on 222.100.  I hope it all works!!

73

Dave K1WHS