Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Long shot about Bird product the 6154 watt

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Long shot about Bird product the 6154 wattmeter.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:52:04 -0400
Hello VHFers,

This is a follow up to my original e mail asking for advice on repairing a Bird 6154 150 watt wattmeter/ load.  I was hoping to find info on how to proceed, but met with no success.  My idea of finding a grizzled old Bird employee turned up nothing.  Info on the web is about nil.  I ended up getting a new 6154 that appears to work. That left me with the old Bird 6154 that worked on the low ranges (5 and 15 watts) but was way out of cal on 50 and 150 watts.  The high range was way out of whack! With nothing to lose, I dug in and have pretty much fixed it back to almost perfect, Along the way, I learned a few things.  I have noted that I am seeing a higher indicated RF level above the 222 MHz band. 432 MHz is reading about 0.9 dB too high. I am not surprised as I had to disturb the parallel capacity of a capacitive divider network on the output of the diode that sets the freq response. I had to unsolder a chunk of siver plated brass that did double duty as part of the capacitive network. When I resoldered things I made no attempt to get things back in the EXACT position. Hey, I only had two hands and one of them is shakier than the  Waco Kid in "BLAZING SADDLES"!

When I took everything apart, I found that the capacitive probe had been adjusted so far in that it fell off and was laying there inside causing all sorts of errors. I re attached everything and soldered the assembly back together.  I can easily add a few pf externally and am hoping that I can flatten the curve a bit. I'll write it up with pictures and arrows. The 6154 can easily be re calibrated.

73

Dave K1WHS