[VHFcontesting] Yaesu FT-736 question

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Yaesu FT-736 question
From: Howard Reynolds <wa3eoq@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 16:16:21 -0400
Hi Mike, I wouldn't try that. I purchased a 736 way back when they first
came out around 1985 and had the same idea.  I was going to switch between
two modules; however, I was informed that when the radio is powered up, the
software checks to see which modules are installed.  So my idea wouldn't
work unless you turned the radio off each time you wanted to switch in the
extra module (maybe the software would crash even then - hi).  I have no
idea what the software would do if there were 5 bands connected.  I ended
up using the radio on 144 thru 1296 as 6m wasn't high on my priority list
at the time; I ended up using a transverter with an HF radio to get on 6m.
FYI: If the optical sensors in the main tuning fail, Burghardt had a
work-around to fix this (the original parts were obsolete).  I've seen two
radios which had this failure.  The FT-736R served me well for 30+ years.
The fact that some parts, if they failed, could not be found anywhere
caused me to sell the radio.  Unfortunately, no modern radio has
weak-signal 222MHz capability.  I kept waiting for Yaesu to come out with a
"New FT-736R" but that never happened.  I now use a Q5 Signal 100 watt
transverter with my K3s HF radio to get on that band. WA3EOQ