[VHFcontesting] It is 222 Night.

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] It is 222 Night.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:51:53 -0400
Yes another Toosday is upon us. I am settled in and doing very well here in EL79mr.  I just wanted to remind everyone that this is the evening to try for some of that great propagation that always seems to occur on 222 MHz on Tuesday evenings.  Being "stuck" here  in EL79 puts a bit of a cramp in my operating as my remote station is not operational yet, so I have to be content with eating oysters and drinking Apalach IPA to wash them down. Yes it is tough, but those oysters will not eat themselves as far as I know.

The Moon looked great last night as it set above Apalachicola Bay. It was a rather small sliver, but it promises to be up and properly positioned on Tuesday evening. When the local activity in the Northeast slows down around 01:00 UT (9 PM) the Moon will be low in the West with very low degradation. Check the HB9Q 222 MHz Chat page and listen in if you see anyone looking for 222 action on their setting Moon. Moonset in Maine is at 0200 UT, but the Moon is still up at 10 degrees out in Indiana at the same time. Howard, WA3EOQ has a mast mounted preamp and a single yagi with no elevation, and hears loud signals via the moon there in FM09. Give it a try and you may surprise yourself. If you do not detect anything after a few tries, that means your RX is broken so some fixing is required. (Mast mount your preamp hint hint!)

On Wednesday I am off for the annual DEMI visit in Live Oak FL. I am not sure about what will be accomplished there. I may be digging up cactus plants or tuning up a 160 meter vertical.  We could also do some trolling in Lake DEMI for our dinner.  It will be exciting. Apalach is a lot of fun too. My XYL likes to visit her friend Woozie Suzie and I tag along and eat oysters.  I am heading northward  for home on the 15th of March so I will make the next 222 night after this one.  I am picking up a 222 KW amplifier along the way for N1SV during  my travels, so expect to hear another loud signal from Massachusetts in a few weeks. WA1ZMS did a great job converting a 1000 watt Larcan.  Temps in Maine are hovering in the high 40's or low 50's and I am looking forward to better propagation. I have a lot of antenna projects planned. What better way to test the prop princess than to make a few tropo or MS skeds and try ur luck at DX on a Tuesday night. The action starts after dinner and goes until you either get tired or sick of all the DX.  The ON4KST Chat page is a good place to gather to set up skeds.   Choose 144/432 Region 2 Chat.  I sure hope we have  a good turnout.

CU next tuesday

Dave K1WHS