Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity night K1WHS

To: Donald Fox <taurusshoguy@yahoo.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity night K1WHS
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 10:37:03 -0500
Last night on 222 MHz was a lot of fun, but the prop princess was nowhere to be found.  It was interesting that a few hardy souls made a point to show up in hopes that someone in the Northeast might hit 30 QSOs. Jeff, K1TEO was there for that purpose, but a lack of activity was evident up here in the northern quadrant! The regulars were all here. W9KXI, WA1MBA,  GB WZ1V, K1PXE, (The voice of Milford),  N1JEZ, K1FSY, WA3NUF,  WA3EOQ, WA1PBU, The VT contingent of W1AIM and W1GHZ,  and WB2VVV.  Wally N1GLT slung up a 222 yagi just to get on and make a contact. N2JQR, WW1Z and WA1NLG showed up.  W2BYP is repairing his TX as a HV feedthru decided to catch on fire and self destruct. WA1T showed up running QRPP and about 100 mw and  contacted me from across the lake and the NH/ME border. Others worked included WA2LTM, KV1J, and W1AUV. I tried listening and calling K3SK in FM07. Dave is a regular on 222 night, but the distance is just a bit too far for me and nothing was heard. I listened on Q65 for awhile too, but had no reception. The other two long haul  stations I can work, KO4YC at 511 miles, and WA3EOQ at about 502 miles were worked on CW or SSB with weak signals.  Cornell was on SSB. I was listening in a CW bandwidth for him and heard some strange noises that sounded like SSB, so I switched to SSB and called Cornell, and there he was calling. Sigs were not strong at all and it was a squeaker on SSB, but we did work quickly.   Many other stations that show up quite often were not around, and I missed a few stations that I know were on the band. N2SLO and N1ROZ were not heard up here in Mumbo Jumbo land. The activity around Philly was a bit down.  WA3NUF was the only station I heard up here. NZ3M, N1YCQ, N1LHP, WA1RKS, N2DEQ, WA4YA, WA3GFZ, K1FMS, W2TMA, KA3FQS, KC3BVL, K1NKR, N1SV, VE3KG, VE3DS, KC1V, W1JR, N1BUG, K1MAP, K1OR (remote station) K1ZK, KB2YCC, KR1ST N3RG, WB2RVX VE2XX, W1XR, and K1BX all show up on occasion, but missed last night. That is quite a list of stations in the northeast and I am sure that I missed a few. Just imagine how much fun we would have if everyone got on! It would feel like 20 meters (almost)

By 9 PM local time, the band had emptied out. The meteor activity is quite low now so no MS was tried.  The Moon was not up, so I headed home and got some sleep. Thanks to all who got on.

73

Dave K1WHS