Re: [VHFcontesting] K3DNE 2M Fall Sprint

To: k3dne@comcast.net, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] K3DNE 2M Fall Sprint
From: peter hutter via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 20:06:44 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Ed,
Like yours, our results at W2KV from last night's sprint was meager at best.
Conditions appeared to be varying from nonexistent to okay during the evening.
Analog activity seemed to petered out at about 8:30pm local time and FT8 was in
full swing with numerous unworked stations, including multipliers. After caving
intoFT8's draw, worked several stations. The wow factor's floor seemed to have
fallen out at this point and decided to throw the big switch to the off
position. It was probably a good decision, because it gave me an opportunity to
get a decent night's rest after several long weekends of radioactivity and
travel.
European contest sponsors had the foresight to create separate digital and
analog contests in order to keep the interest and the critical masses healthy
and happy.
73,Peter
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 11:49 AM, Ed Kucharski<k3dne@comcast.net> wrote:   My
meager results from the 2m Fall Sprint.  I thought activity was down, that
being said, the fall sprints are historically not the most popular VHF+ events.
 Many "big guns" that I typically hear or work were absent.  Things have
certainly changed in the past 5 years on VHF+.  In the recent past, I found a
SSB spike in activity around 8-9pm when WA4NJP calls his 2m net on 144.210 and
net participants tune the band to work sprint QSO's.  I think I only worked one
of those ops.  I refused to give in to the FT8 VHF+ pandemic (yes, you read
that correctly) and operated the first hour and a quarter exclusively on SSB
netting a grand total of 6 QSO's in that time frame.  After that I spent a good
20 minutes at the top of each hour on SSB and only netted one more SSB QSO.  I
did not notice any significant enhanced propagation.
Thanks to the sponsor for continuing the support for weak signal VHF+ activity.

144 MHz Fall Sprint - 2023
Call: K3DNE
Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 3.75
Total: QSOs = 24, Mults = 16, Total Score = 384
Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Elecraft K3S, Kuhne DB6NT transverter, Lunar Link Amp (750w digital, 1+KW SSB),
12 element M2 at 47ft.

73
Ed K3DNE
EM94ae