[VHFcontesting] Categories

To: VHF <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Categories
From: Herb Krumich via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 01:22:21 +0000 (UTC)
Pondering my next contestI spoke to my club about gathering all our equipment
up to 10 ghz and operating a multi op contest. Then the thought struck us we
could never compete with the big multi op stations.I need to win somethingWe
decided to leave six bands home and do the lower four bands multi op.But then
we realized we had no amps so we could not compete. I need to win
somethingSince the group decided it was a no go, I thought I would operate by
myself.I looked at the high power single op, and pondered. I only have two
amplifiers so I better not compete with those that do.I need to win
somethingNow I thought about the low power single op open category. Bring all
my rigs through 2304 and low antennas. Wait a minute. My antennas will never
beat a home station with a tall tower and preamps. Forget thisI need to win
somethingMaybe I'll just operate the lower four band category. I know I can do
well with that. Oh dam, I'll have no cell service and won't be able to find
hams for skeds.I need to win SomethingNow another thought would be three bands.
Maybe this will be the way to fly. What band should I leave home. Signals are
better on 222 than 432, but there is more activity on 432. The 432 yagi is
longer but the 222 yagi is lighter. Surely I can make some phone calls to get
Pete on the air. No wait, the last time at this site, I had no cell service.I
need to win somethingI guess my best bet is to operate analog only. Yes, that
will solve all my problems. I'll operate all bands on SSB and CW. I need to
practice my code so by calling CQ on CW 10,000 times, my fist will improve for
the low bands this winter. Pondering that, new hams don't do CWI need to win
something.Many comments have been made about VHF contesting 2023 style.In
reading each and every comment, my conclusion is this. Far to many want rewards
or perhaps the ARRL thinks hams want all these categories.Here is the death
word to VHF contesting "LIMITED"Who the hell is making these rules. Leave your
equipment home. Don't buy equipment to expand your capabilities. When the ARRL
decided to make the LIMITED MULTI OP category, it was the start of WIN AT ALL
COSTS. And death tothe microwave bands.Dave's Tuesday group is proving we don't
all need to win.Although I hear if you give Dave a contact on Tuesday, he'll
give you a soda if you take a ride to FN43 and say HelloBut then I heard if
your in Ron WZ1V log, he'll give you a beer in FN31Sorry for ranting. But I
wanted to show at least for myself, how stupid these awards really are73Herb
K2LNSFormerly the WA2FGK station