[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Night Wrapup

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Night Wrapup
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:31:10 -0400
I was hoping for a quiet evening with no thunderstorm crashes or rain static. The report was for some rain and fog, but when I drove up t the shack at 22:30 it was partly sunny and looking good.  Signals seemed good right at the start. I was working WB2VVV in FN41. He is in RI just about on the Connecticut border about 200 degrees azimuth from me. When I signed with Chris, I was called by WA3NUF near Philly, who was on my 1st sidelobe of the antenna and was about normal strength. When I peaked him on the main lobe he was S8 or S9! That is about 10+ dB better than what I usually expect. So it was no surprise that when WA3EOQ (FM09) answered  my call, he was Q5. I was actually watching the S-meter bar graph jump a bit on Howard's signal.   Signals did not stay loud all the time, but I never missed a word in our quick 502 mile CW contact. KO4YC was another great contact at 510 miles or so. I worked Cornell early in the evening when he first got on. He was Q5 on SSB and I heard him for quite awhile answering all his callers with a good 5X5 SSB signal.

Well I was sure that things were a a tad better than normal, so I let K3SK in FM07 know and we started a q65 sked. In about 4 or 5 minutes, I was decoding Dave and we finally completed our first tropo scatter contact. There was a rumor going around that GBR WZ1V had applied a hex on our path that prevented a contact.  I am not sure of the mechanics of Ron's witch craft. Not sure if he used Jamaican dolls with pins, or just a straight celtic magic spell over a bubbling cauldron, but Dave K3SK and I finally broke the spell. The path is about 570 miles I think.  As far as I can tell, the QSB peaks were quite good last night if you caught them at the right time. Out to the West, I tried with K9MRI and we heard nil, not even a meteor bump in the few minutes we tried, but VE3DS at about 440 miles was very loud. He started out calling me on CW and he was 599. Many other nights Dana's signals are weak and watery, but this time he was sounding like clear channel 50 kilowatts! I answered him on SSB, and he was very surprised too. As  we chatted on SSB, the signal kept dropping and Dana got fairly weak as we signed off. Quite a difference from when we first made contact.

At 00:45 I elevated my tropo antenna and started calling CQ on 222.085 using Q65. When I stopped the first transmission I heard a strong local signal quit at the same time. It took me awhile to realize that it was my own echo. It was the loudest I ever heard on 222 MHz. Really it scared me it was so loud.The Moon was already up in Tennessee and AJ6T was listening, but no joy. He was not hearing anything. Then I got a call on EME from K3SK again! WE worked easily and I went back to CQig. W5EME was listening on his single yagi from Louisiana, but he heard nothing, so he went to his EME array ( 2 X 22 EL) He still heard nothing.  All of a sudden, I see a huge bunch of blips on the screen. Who could that be. It was W5EME! He saw the same thing. It was if someone had turned on the ON-OFF switch. Signals were loud both ways.  Hard to explain that.   I had another contact with K3SK while we waited for W6TCP's moonrise at about 0225 UT. K3SK needs California on 222 MHz. After a few minutes, I started hearing W6TCP along with K3SK. They were both around the same strength at -19 to-21 on the digi-meter. Unfortunately, Faraday was preventing them from a 2 way contact and I got tired and quit at about 03:15 UT.

I looked at the latest Hepburn maps and things are starting to change. The Friday morning event for southern New England does not look anywhere near as good as before, but still looks great down the coast.  while northern New England  sees nil at that time, and by Saturday morning, the northern areas are spotty while southerly spots in New England are great along with the midwest.   I will still hope and pray that we get something. K1TEO and W1VD claim that the last tropo event was the best they ever heard.  N1BUG, W1AIM, N1JEZ, and I are still waiting.

73

Dave K1WHS