[VHFcontesting] 222 Night is coming up

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Night is coming up
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:50:09 -0400
Don't forget that Tuesday evenings are reserved for 222 MHz activity.   There is no excuse for you watching re runs of Taxi or Seinfeld.  You don't want to be looking at Facebook either checking on the latest smart phone photos of what your friends ate for dinner.  Join the cool crowd. Get on 222 instead. Everybody is gravitating to 222.100 starting at about 2300 UT on the East Coast. The activity stretches out past 0200 as you go farther West. There is now considerable activity in middle America which is great. CW, SSB, FT8, MSK144, FM, all are welcome. We are still waiting for the first slow scan TV QSO.

Another feature of today's 222 Activity night is that the Moon rises here in Maine at 23:15 UT. Guys in New England will be busy working each other between 2300 and 0000 UT, but as the Moon appears in the mid and far west starting at around 00:30 there will be a few EMEers on the Moon making noise. Best plan is to check the HB9Q logger page (220 MHz)  and see who is doing what. I plan to be QRV on EME as we get close to 0100 UT.  That is perfect for working guys like WQ0P in EM19. His Moon comes up at 00:45 UT.   Note that K3SK will be on trying with W6TCP in California. W6TCP's Moon rise is at 02:30 UT, so expect some activity off the Moon this evening. I should add that degradation is about as low as possible, so signals will be very good when things line up. I plan to hit EME pretty hard this evening looking for anyone with a single good yagi and a few hundred watts. Tonight could be the night, with such low degradation.  If you are a 222 EMEer, tonight would be a great time to congregate around 222.085 starting whenever the Moon comes up. We need signals for the horizon only folks to listen to!

I have been watching the Hepburn Tropo site and and looks like southern New England will be happy on Thursday morning again, with tropo extending westward as far as Missouri. Northern New England might see some action starting late at night Friday night and then early Saturday morning both down the coast and inland.  Sunday looks like a coastal event with Nova Scotia involved down to Florida with extreme intensity. The next few days bear watching as the system could change and go flat, or it could cause another good tropo session oover the weekend.  Do not forget to check the bands!

73

Dave K1WHS