Re: [VHFcontesting] 6 meter sprint

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6 meter sprint
From: Stu Mitchell <cw@stu2.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 19:04:25 -0400
Wow - I feel like I was the high score with 8 QSO's on 6. No openings here. But - it was worthwhile because I'm working on a Radio in a Box ala VP6A and now E51D. The sprint gave me an opportunity to test. Of course, my box isn't as robust as theirs. No water cooling, yet. I can report that remote ops worked well and I found a few more bugs to work out.

We're going to try using the remote on Flagpole Knob (FM08) during the VHF contest using Starlink for Internet. Our call will be W4AD instead of W4IY. (W4AD's old call was K4HWG and old timers might remember working Jack.) In the past, we used 900MHz or 2.4GHz links to Harrisonburg to get Internet to the hill top. Starlink is a real game changer because it's no big deal to set up anywhere.

BTW, we celebrated our 35th year up there in June and now we're winding down. But... the RiB concept might help get more operators on the air. I have SSB and CW capabilities, but FT-8 is much easier to use. Hopefully, we'll be able to give this concept a good test.

73

Stu2, W7IY