[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz update.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz update.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 10:54:27 -0400
I will be in the shack for the next 222 Activity Night. That is unless the shack blows away. We just got a tornado warning. The weather is really horrible here with heavy rains every few days. Anyway, my trip South has been put on hold, so I will be here for 222 MHz night on July 18.  I spent part of Saturday re wiring the 222 setup and have my 222 MHz solid state amp in line.  This amplifier is the cousin of the one that is in use by Good Buddy Ron, WZ1V.  It will run 500 watts on battery power.

My plan was to operate in the contest this weekend. I had my contests mixed up and thought it was the 222 & Up contest. So I loaded up N1MM and checked it all out. I replaced a bad intermittent phono jack on the amp. I even went and bought some seltzer and had it all in a cooler. I had a very nice glass mug for the seltzer.  I even picked out a great book to read should activity not be heavy.  (Geology of the New Hampshire White Mountains)  So with all this prep, I heard nothing on 222, then figured out that this was the CQ WWVHF weekend!! What a dope!  I did check 50 MHz and heard lots of beeping on 50.313, and almost nothing on 50.1 or the low end SSB. I called some CW CQs and got no takers.

The 222 & Up contest will be a good time to try some EME on 222 and 432.  Moonrise for me is Saturday night at 10:30 PM. So when all the locals quit and go QRT, the Moon will rise across the country and be available all night.  I can track the Moon on 222, but only have my moonset on 432.  So circle those dates on your calendar. AUGUST 5 & AUGUST 6.    And don't forget 222 Activity Night on July 18. I will be there along with my mug and some seltzer.

Dave K1WHS