Re: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday 222 Night --- Antennas work is done . I thin

To: k3sk@buckwalter.co, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday 222 Night --- Antennas work is done . I think I'll be there.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 09:04:21 -0400
Hi Dave

Well those 222 yagis look nice out there all by themselves. It will be interesting to see if we can get a hint of improvement on the222 band. At 570 miles, that is a long haul, but I was sure that we could have some success. It is just beyond the reliable range if you assume a zero degree horizon angle. Obviously the path loss is great as we can work via the Moon, but not direct! That puts things in perspective. 255 dB of path loss is nothing to sneeze at.

We should try some Q65 skeds tonite. Maybe Good Buddy Ron can offer some comments too, as he has better luck working you at 417 miles.  I will be on with the tube amp at 1500 watts and all four yagis percolating starting just before 2300 UT. I have been busy at the shack. I rewired my solar wiring and moved stuff around to accommodate my new Genstar  solar charge controller. They all bolt to the wall.  I also fixed a few programming issues with the older controller,  and now both the old and new controllers are charging the battery together.  I have 1500 watts of 12 volt charging power now. That is 115 amps at 13 volts.  I was seeing 30 amps of charging current in the rain with clouds.

So I will look for you this evening. Good luck and FB on the repositioning. That is an impressive installation. Wow!!

73

Dave K1WHS