Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity etc.

To: Howard Reynolds <wa3eoq@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity etc.
From: Joel Harrison <w5zn@w5zn.org>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 15:33:50 -0400
The issue with the major manufacturers and 222 MHz radios is that the amateur
radio service is only authorized 222 MHz in ITU Region 2 which is primarily
North and South America. It is not a ham band in Europe, Japan, or other parts
of the world so a large potential market does not exist.

While 222 MHz FM radios have been somewhat affordable for the big guys to
manufacture Icom did not have enough sales during their attempt to sustain
their 222 MHz “all mode” models.

73 Joel W5ZN