[VHFcontesting] Activity Night on 222 MHz K1WHS

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Activity Night on 222 MHz K1WHS
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 08:58:11 -0400
Hello Ron and 222 VHFers,

Had a similar list of stations worked as WZ1V  on 222 MHz that included:

N1GLT FN42,  WZ1V FN31, WB2VVV FN41, WW1Z FN42, N1SV FN42,  W1XR FM19, WA1RKS FN32,,

K1PXE FN31, K1FSY FN31, VE2XX FN25,  VE3FN FN25,  WA3EOQ FM09, WA1T FN43,  N3RG F29, WB2RVX FM29,

WA3NUF FN20,  K1TEO FN31, W1AIM FN34, VE3DS FN03,  KO4YC FM17, WA2LTM  FN20, N2SLO FN30,  WB2SIH FN31,

I missed with VE3MIX, nothing heard either way.    WA1T was running 100 milliwatts to his 144 beam.

I saw that AJ6T and W5EME had a 470 mile contact using Q65 and AJ6T was running 25 watts. That is an impressive feat.  I listened for W5EME on meteors but heard nothing at 1460 miles. I found that most signals  were not as strong as normal, but VE3DS was quite loud, peaking 589 at one point and we switched to SSB for a nice QSO over a 430 mile path. KO4YC was copyable on SSB at 520 miles, but then faded way down.  WA3EOQ was pretty good and we worked quickly with nothing missed.  Signals were weak but audible on this end. I guess it all depends on the QSB fairy. Interesting that the best conditions for me seemed to be out West. The N-S paths were definitely not enjoying any enhancement. All in all it was a fun night.

I received the latest QST and turned immediately to the VHF column, hoping to read all about the aurora event but was disappointed to see that out of two pages allotted to the column editor, only 5 lines out of 306 column lines were devoted to events above 54 MHz.  Those 5 lines were equally distributed between 144 and 222 MHz.  So send in your reports of what you are accomplishing on the VHF bands. Apparently we are not doing a good job of letting N0JK know what is going on on the higher VHF bands. Surely 144, 222, and 432 deserve more than 1.63% of the available column space!  How are we going to keep the higher bands populated if no one knows that they are even there?  I plan to be more active in reporting interesting QSOs in the future.

On the 222 MHZ Larcan amplifier project, I managed to get all of the LP filters tuned up with 12 ohm teflon coax capacitors. I purchased the bare teflon boards and ordered a chunk of the TC-12 coax and chopped up and trimmed about 33 pieces to make some 10 and 15 pf hi power caps. W1BOF came over to see what I was doing and helped in the tuning process. He seemed to have "The Knack" and pre adjusted the coils so that they were all just about perfect when checked on the network analyzer. George is an EE and worked for Collins Radio on the Apollo capsule project.  After the filters were all done, it was time to attack the metal work. (I hate metal work as it seems that nothing is happening until all the parts are done and then can be assembled.) Routing the RF from the amp output to the filter which sits on top of the heatsink requires a 16" length of 0.250" semi rigid hardline. To secure the hardline in place, I fabricated some brass compression clamp structures out of 3/8" X 1" brass stock. The coax goes thru the brass and the brass gets clamped tightly with some 8-32 machine screws. Lots of drilling and tapping involved.  There is also a 1/4" aluminum plate heatsink to mount the teflon LP filter board. A 0.063" thick aluminum plate is also needed to support all the components above the heatsink. That is yet to be cut up. I need 11 pieces at 10.375" X 4.5". Not sure how I will cut all of those. I might use a table saw! So work is progressing and I am hoping to bring all 11 1500 watt amps along with two 500 watt amps to Little Rock in July for distribution around the country.

So thanks to all who made noise and populated the 222 band for an evening. A big Thank you to K1TEO who appeared and stirred up some activity. Another big Thank you to the many hams who get on every Tuesday in parts of the country with very low activity. They are doing missionary work that is of the utmost value. W5EME, AJ6T, and others are there every week.  W5EME runs up his electric meter on the front of his house by calling CQ on meteor scatter. I always listen even though I am at an almost impossible distance of 1460 miles. For those within range (1200 miles or so) please take some time and do some listening or calling for him. His dedication is exemplary. K9MRI AA9MY and N8WNA and many others are all in there too. We need to entice more folks to get on in the hinterlands. Activity breeds activity.

73

Dave K1WHS

The Knack:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6HojLBsnw