[VHFcontesting] Tuesday 222 Activity Night

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday 222 Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 08:29:24 -0400
Last Tuesday I happened to look up at the microwave tower and saw something out of the ordinary.  Among other antennas up there, I have a quad loop yagi array for 903 MHz.  They are the long 47 element versions. It seems that one of the 47 el loop yagis had managed to break itself loose from the H frame. Apparently the hardware had worked loose and the antenna fell off. ( So much for my preventative maintenance abilities)  The looper was hanging by a kinked 1/2" hardline phasing cable.  I rescued the damaged antenna. Several elements were broken, but no real damage was done. I replaced a few of the broken loops and straightened things out. It looked pretty darn good when I was done. A quick check showed  30 dB return loss and it is ready to go back up. (I'll need to make a new phasing line and phase match it.)  When I am up there, I will test all of the loop yagis and do the PM work that I should have been doing up there all along.  I figure a day up at 130 ft and I can pinpoint any problems in any of the bands.

After all the tower work, Tuesday evening is the appointed time for 222 Activity Night. I am itching to try some meteor scatter. Last week seemed to be fair for meteors and we are getting into the more productive part of the year for them. I know that the current term du jour is "rocks", but they are really grains of sandlike particles. I guess "sand" doesn't cut it when discussing conditions. " Geez, the sand was really bad last night" or  " The sand was really flying this morning."  Last week, everybody noticed that conditions generally, had improved and some neat QSOs were made in many parts of the country.  QSO totals in the northeast were high and some of the regulars were missing in action. If everybody gets on in New England and the mid Atlantic States, we could have contact totals up in the 50's for a few hours of operating.  As it is  Good Buddy Ron WZ1V worked about 25 stations. I did about the same. I think WA3EOQ in extreme western MD worked 14 stations from his spot in FM09. That is impressive.

So fire up the rig on 222 tonight and make some noise. While you are at it, make a point to get on and celebrate the life of Lee Fish, K5FF, the God Mother of the 220 MHz band. Lee passed away on May 3rd. She was a true sparkplug and was responsible for keeping 220 MHz alive and fostering activity on the DX modes.  The fun starts after dinner around 2300 UT on the East Coast and a bit later in the midwest.  I will hopefully be there shortly before 23:00 UT on 222.100 MHz.

73

Dave K1WHS