Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night

To: ww1z_1@juno.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 22:08:50 -0400
Hi John

I think things were quite depressed by the heavy rains. The atmosphere was all roiled up and everybody's antennas were soaking wet which can detune some antennas. My 222 array was tweaked so that when rain droplets collect on the elements, it drops in frequency and it sits right at 222. 1 MHz. The VSWR is great too. When dry, the gain peak is at 223.5 or so. I actually sprayed the yagis with water on the test range and looked at the bandpass when they were being designed. I would guess that you are about 150 miles from Good Buddy Ron. I would think that a QSO is possible with 100 watts, but what do I know?  It all comes down to local terrain etc.

Dave